Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, July 11, 2014

Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn...

I've lost control of the script and I'm now fighting to regain it. Anastasia didn't just hijack the story; she raped it, tossed it aside and spit on it. I had a nice enough rhythm going and build to the scenes, and yeah, it needed something more. But this? A queen bitch to counter Carli? WTF!?!?!

I've already tried cutting her back, but she ain't havin' none of it. She's like Carli's doppelganger. Shit...I need to step back and figure out what the hell's going on. This is wrecking my fun little thriller.

I think it started when I roughed out some storyboards for the opening. Nothing very good; just something to get me closer to a visual rhythm...and the scene shifted from a quick snarly moment to a long zoom in on Mindy and her man screwing in a hotel room, not cutting until she gets out of bed to go to the balcony. Then it's from behind, zooming in, again...and that's as far as I got, but that was still 8 frames of work to get the feel for it.

Thing is, I was dissatisfied with my sketching. It looked juvenile, and now I want to go in and make it better. And I have the feeling that dissatisfaction kick-started something in my brain about the story. It's too ABC in its simplicity...and yet not honest enough. And yet, it is. There's something else I need to fight -- my tendency to make every story I write, lately, about something deep and meaningful and the length of a Bible instead of just plain quick and fun.

If I wrote a short story, these days, it'd wind up being 250 pages long.

No comments: