Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Reversals work

The scene where Chase is being interrogated by Carli was falling flat...until I made it funny. He thinks Carli was bought for him as a birthday present, and he's hoping she's going to force whiskey down his throat because he's now 21 and legal for anything, ANYthing. Like an eager bunny rabbit. It takes him a little bit to catch on that's not what's happening.

I did some thinking about this kind of thing in a thriller...and remembered movies like Myra Breckinridge and Basic Instinct, where men are the victims and women the aggressors...and in ways somewhat similar to CK. Granted Myra uses a strap-on to violate Rusty, in MB, as a form of revenge rape against all men, while Carli plays with Chase's fantasy about her real reason for interrogating him in a sensual way...as if she's about to "force herself" onto him. Sharon Stone's character uses sex as a weapon in BI, just like Carli uses sex to get Grady to go home with her. Of course, MB bombed at the box office, despite Raquel Welch being a huge star, but BI made hundreds of millions, so...

I tried to indicate the moments of love and sensuality come between Carli and Zeke, because they're equals. I'm leaving it up to the director as to how far they go with them, but in my mind, I'd make it Red Shoe Diaries, to the max. All soft touches and golden light with nudity and kisses.

I think I will storyboard the full script, just to see how that works.

No comments: