Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Storyboarding changes stuff...

I have the first scene of Carli's Kills -- where Carli picks up Grady in the bar -- roughed out...and as I began thinking like a visual storyteller, aspects of the script changed. It was still a bit bland on the page, but hyping their little pool game into a scene of sexual foreplay made it a lot more fun. Changed the dialogue, too. So now there are 40 setups for 2.5 pages (which is a lot) but many are cutaways to balls getting hit and clicking into pockets.

What's funny is, it also set up a scene, later in the script, where Carli thinks she's got control but suddenly doesn't. Which does a better setup for when she meets Zeke the next time...and on and on. I once thought, facetiously, about storyboarding all my scripts just to get an idea of how they worked...and now I'm thinking that might have actually helped me see how to better translate the action to the page.

Too bad it took me this long to accept that.

No comments: