Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Role reversals

Well, Zeke's in trouble and Carli's got to rescue him. Sort of a flip on the girl being the one caught by the bad guys, making the hero do heroic things to save her...but Carli's more like a guy in so many ways. No, that's wrong -- she's a woman capable of handling herself and smart enough to understand what's going on.

That was something I hated about Kill Bill -- how Uma Thurman's character kept doing things that were stupid in order to keep the plot going or provide a shocking turn of events, even as reality was consistently ignored. That's lazy screenwriting.

CK's becoming a pretty tight script. I may be able to clock it in at just over 90 pages. We'll see. The first act is 26 pages long, so that normally works out to 104 pages, for me.

I watched Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and it was almost a Chris Columbus movie, it was so shallow and quick to ignore what was complicated in any way or might gum up the works if they paid it any mind.

I will say, I do like how Neville's become a solid part of the pack. But the twist about Harry's father and Snape was tossed aside so contemptuously, it made me angry. This was a hugely important moment and deserved more than two minutes of film time, way more. So far #3 is the best with #4 a decent followup. #5 is a distant third, and then come the first two.

I can only hope for the best with the next three.

No comments: