Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Can you mitigate darkness?

What I wrote for Léonidès, today, really counts as mass murder by him and his crew. Granted, it's in the middle of a war, which by definition is legalized slaughter, and he targets Russian soldiers who have brutalized the local population. He also helps a group of Polish officers escape with the understanding they get to the UK and regroup to fight from there.

But then he and his seven associates take a group of Russian soldiers prisoner, keep some to take back to their chalet in Lugano, then rape and feed on the rest. One at a time. Done in a way that increases the terror of the men about to die. It's unsettling to me...yet is mitigated somewhat by the fact that they've also helped people. Am I being wishy-washy here?

I went back over what I posted, yesterday, and found some inconsistencies to correct, which flowed into what happens next...which is, basically, more bodies in the pool. With winter closing in, those bodies probably won't be found till the spring thaw, if then, and no one will even think to check to see if they still have blood in them. So Léon and his crew are safe. Not sure where this section is going, but I'm not pulling back on the reins, just yet.

This may help me with an issue I've been having in A Place of Safety. I'm torn between having none of Brendan's immediate friends die, in book 1, and having one killed by a British soldier, by accident. It seems too easy and on-point for that to happen, which is why I've been resisting it. But I'm starting to see that the best way to illuminate brutality is to have it happen. 

Wee Eammon, a kid who's sickly and has a panicky mother, has developed asthma and has an inhaler. If he's trying to get home in the middle of the daily riot, in Derry, has an attack and pulls out his inhaler...a soldier could freak, think it's a gun and fire. Problem is, if I do put it in, where would that be? After Bloody Sunday, when things spiral out of control? Before? Or should I wait till Brendan's in Houston? Point of placement is just as important as the act.

So still a lot to consider...but I'm now leaning towards doing it.

No comments: