Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Drive time good...

It seems I'm best able to let my mind wander and dig up aspects of my stories when I'm driving, and the drive down to Washington DC was LOOOOONG...but helped work out some kinks in the story. Same for the drive back, though not as tedious. I'm now tired as shit and my back is killing me, but my brain is abuzz.

I went down by way of Pittsburgh and never will again, it was such a mess. Coming back, I dealt with Google Map's nonsensical connection from the 15 North to the 15 North (going through the middle of town instead of staying on the West side of the River?!?!?) for one reason -- it takes me by the Susquehanna River and that is a lovely drive. More overgrown than the last time I did it, a few years ago, but still spots to stop and just relax...like McKee's Half Falls Rest Area. Nice. Peaceful. Restrooms. Mostly ignored by passing cars and trucks.

Anyway, I've started working out what's going on with Lenoides and Gabrielle, and it's mainly a nasty case of sibling rivalry. He wasn't supposed to be turned into a Vampire because he has the Blood Angel strain in him, and he's gay. There are older BAs (The Olders) who sent out word he was to be left alone to live out his life as a human, and they are angry that he's been turned.

This set the stage for the rift between him and Gabrielle, and why he continues to feel like an outsider even in the Vampire world. But since vampires are forbidden from killing other vampires, nothing can be done about it...until he becomes so wealthy and powerful he's targeted for annihilation. Not out of fear but out of bigotry. Even Vampires can be homophobic.

I'm also working out how to explain the creation of The Olders...from using Greek, Roman or Egyptian mythology to set it up to a play on Lucifer being cast down from Heaven and have a ball on Earth, leaving behind a few of his progeny who develop into blood-suckers.

I need to dig more into the Egyptian for that, though. And...it might work better with Hindu. You never know.

No comments: