Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, June 9, 2022

More of Leonides

Continuing from what I posted yesterday, as Leonides and Geoffrey consider what to do about Franz...

---------

"To replace me?" Geoff asked, a hint of concern in his voice.

"Never." And I put every ounce of truth I could into it.

A near coo came from behind Geoff's heart, filled with relief. "Oh...that would infuriate Gabrielle. But I still sense hesitation..."

"I know."

The thing is, I was not used to indecision. Eight-hundred years had shown me my gut instincts were right. Always. The only occasions where I had trouble were when I ignored them, and those few times had been within the first few years after my turning. Two of which had been caused by my sister's anger at me also being a Blood Angel. But I had learned quickly. Become certain and determined in my course. Brought together minions of my own. In fact, taking the first six from Prior Pious had been my first real joy in my new existence. And truth be told, I know they were much happier with me. I would never keep them tied to a boring monastery, pretending to be monks. I laid only two conditions down upon them -- feed only on the evil, not the innocent, and turn no one without my approval, which I never gave. I'd have chosen oblivion over that.

And almost did.

Twice.

But now? Now...after eight centuries...I was having my first doubt as to a course of action. My first want...no, need to turn someone to my world, to join with me in eternity, and it made me just a wee bit nervous.

"I...I want to know him, first," I said. "I want to know he is worthy."

"You already know."

"I want to be certain."

That made Geoff step away, turn me to him and cast his amazingly goofy Are you mad? expression on me. "And how do you propose to do that? He's a cavalryman in the middle of a war on a battlefield. Of course, he'll have done things he would be ashamed of. All soldiers do. So will you engage him in small talk to see if his atrocities are acceptable to you? Hi, Franz, good to make your acquaintance? Have you slaughtered anyone you shouldn't have?"

I had to chuckle. "I've thought of that. But he's alone, now. And vulnerable."

"And hurt and probably scared."

"As he cares for his horse instead of himself? On a road?"

Geoff leaned against me, looking at him. "I don't think he realizes how badly he's been wounded. He was unconscious..."

I cast him a sharp look. "You saw it happen?"

That was not acceptable. Geoffrey would have needed to be in the open, probably in the middle of the battle, exposing himself in ways unnecessary. No chaos was so complete as to hide a vampire feasting as others fought around him. It was amazingly stupid.

Geoffrey grew a bit sheepish. "I wore a coat...an officer's. It had his blood on it. And I had his hat...and I stood in the midst of a hundred dead men. I even helped a couple over to the next world. No one would have paid me any attention."

"But why risk it? Night will be here, soon..."

"I was...I was watching over him. Hid myself, this way, to keep anyone from noticing. Saw him coming, in another charge. Saw him struck in the shoulder and then the head. Knocked his helmet off. Knocked him out. The horse kept running...into the woods. Nearly fell off, more than once."

"Nearly fell off?"

Now Geoff grew awkward, which made me very uncomfortable. "I...did...sort of help him stay on, once or twice."

Oh, this was unacceptable. "In the middle of the day?!"

"In the midst of chaos."

"How long has he been in your sights?"

"From this morning, just before dawn. Brushing his horse." He finally looked me in the eye, then whispered, "I wanted more than nourishment from him. I'd have taken him, then, but others came up."

"That is how you learned his name." Geoff shrugged. "I've never heard you speak like this, of anyone."

"I've never wanted this, before."

I held him close. Touched my forehead to his. "Geoff, if my feeling is correct...if he is of my lineage...and I turn him...would your allegiance shift from me to him?"

"No, Leonides, I could never...never...no..." He seemed truly anguished that I would even think such a thing. "It's just that I saw something in him, like I saw in you. Our first day together. So I kept watching. He comported himself well, in the initial charge. Fear, but no hesitation. Relief that the French turned and ran. He killed some, yes, but that's what happens in a war. You slaughter men you won't know for people you won't know for reasons you won't know. I decided then that if...if he was wounded...mortally wounded...I would turn him."

I jolted back, shocked. "Without my permission?"

"You'd have understood. You...you already understand."

Whether I did or not was immaterial. Geoffrey's casual willingness to ignore my rules for a human lad shook me. As I said, I had but two of them, only they were there for a reason. Eight-hundred years together, with him always my support and protection, as I was his, and this was the first hint of mutiny. Of possible dissatisfaction.

My sister, Gabrielle, had a similar rule. In fact, it was her only one. Feed all you want, but turn no one to our side without my permission. And she was ruthless in her enforcement of it. Her minions were kept in line by fear. I thought mine respected me enough to do it out of loyalty. It appeared I might have been overly optimistic. 

I looked back at Franz. He was leaning against the horse, weak. Probably from loss of blood and pain. In fact, the wound in his shoulder was still seeping blood while the horse's was clean, and I got the sense the water skin was empty. He had cared for his animal before himself, as if it were his own child. Possibly to his own detriment, for if he did not see a surgeon soon, he would most likely die.

And that is when all doubt left me.

He was worthy, and Geoffrey had sensed it, too.

The decision had been made.

No comments: