Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, February 18, 2023

Another job on Monday

Driving to the Poughkeepsie area, tomorrow, in a minivan loaded with packing materials. It's for a job we thought we had 2 days to complete and three people to do it, but found out...yesterday...that we only have one, and today found out I'll only have one assistant. Even better? We have to transport all the cartons we've packed away on Monday because the house has been sold and there will no further access to it. Which might mean a 12-hour day. So nice to have no warning in advance.

To add to the turmoil, one of the people in the office contracted Covid. Probably got it when flying back from San Francisco after the book fair. She's vaxxed and wears a mask, like me, and still got hit. She's doing better, but nowhere near 100%. This comes after my sister in Texas came down with it. She's had to take a couple weeks off work and do the meds routine, and apparently it's rough. However, she's better now. I've been fortunate so don't want to poke the fates. Masked, vaxxed, and still negative...so happy.

Today was more paperwork and preparation for this job, so no writing done. I'll be getting onto it when I return. I also updated and double-checked my financial condition and I maintaining. I had to pull some out of savings to cover my bills until I get reimbursed for SF, LA and Houston, but I can always put it back. What's hurting is my credit card interest is up to nearly 20% on one card, to which I owe a shitload of money, and 15% on another. I may look into shutting them down and paying them off in smaller amounts once I stop working.

I've watched the first 3 episodes of Vera, on BritBox. It's a British murder mystery series set in Newcastle and thereabouts, with Brenda Blethyn as Detective Chief Constable Vera Stanhope. Sort of a female Columbo but with a team of officers around to help her. Sharper and more demanding, I like her, and the crew around her are okay, but this season the directing and writing are tired, incomplete and repeating previous story plot points. And while there's always been a hint of self-righteous cruelty in the final revelation of the killer, in many of the previous episodes, it's become more glaring and I don't like it. It's almost sanctimonious in how it's handled.

I guess cozy British mysteries like Miss Marple, Midsomer Murders and Agatha Raisin are more my style.

No comments: