Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, February 21, 2023

No drive; no thinking...

Back home after this latest job. I was expecting to pack 450+ books but the auction house's people took  the high end stuff with them when they made the deal and I dealt with the stuff that's under six-figures in value. Still  a lot to do, but I had help and since the shipment was being hand delivered to the auction house, I could pack a bit faster. Wound up with 19 cartons, including a framed item.

But it wore me out so even though I slept pretty good, last night, I still had to stop about mid-way home to nap so I didn't fall asleep at the wheel. As for the weather, it was cold and wet...then snowy...then sleeting...then pouring down rain and windy. The Voyager I drove had a monitor that lets you know what kind of gas mileage you're getting, and in this car it started at 15.8 mpg. I got it up to 24.1 by the time I reached the site, and 27.3 by the time I turned it in. All because of freeway driving and cruise control. I once had it all the way up to 28.2, but a strong headwind obliterated that.

I tried to talk with Brendan as I drove, but he told me we're at the point where I have to be working on what's already been written to see what needs to be done. So next is Brendan's trip to New Orleans for Mardi Gras and how it opens a massive rift between him and his uncle. Especially since he went with a Cajun family and is finding he likes the only daughter, Evangeline. Vangie. More trouble on the horizon.

It's funny. I both want the story to flow but worry that it's flowing too easily as things happen. If it's too predictable. When I start reading a book, if it telegraphs what its ending will be and how the journey will go, I lose interest and check the ending to see if I'm right. I almost always am.

So I don't want APoS to fall into that category for anyone, even though I want it to happen naturally, as time rolls along. But I don't want to input changes just for the sake of hiding what's about to come. So I just keep plugging along and hope for the best.

Won't know for sure till it's done and people either love it or hate it.

No comments: