Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Back to it.

Worked on the chapter where Brendan goes to Mardi Gras with Vangie's family, gets some serious sensory overload, and does go to mass with them for Lenten services. But then, when he gets home, he winds up in a vicious argument with his uncle over going without telling his aunt and uncle. The implication being they would not have allowed it. Seems white boys ain't supposed to be running around with black people. And never mind that Vangie's family is Creole; it's the same thing. Houston still has a small-town plantation feeling, even today.

So Brendan now sees himself as a sort of prisoner, because he has to keep a low profile and not get into any situations that might call attention to himself. He's overstayed his visa and could be deported back to Derry. He now senses there was more to him being snuck into the US than just kindness or a wish to keep him alive. But he has no way of finding out, short of asking his sister, Mairead, about it. And she won't tell him. Not sure where this part is going, just yet, but it's adding some interesting emotional depth to the story...and conflict within Brendan. Because this also means a rift with his belovéd aunt. She's backing her husband up, complete.

I'm also working up costing for a couple of jobs that may or may not come to fruition. I'm asking for more information from the clients about them, and I'm dealing with the costing of a job that will require another long drive. I like driving, but my agéd old joints and back and butt and legs ain't so happy with it. I'm also finally having trouble with my lower back. Serves me right for being so proud about how good that part of me has been.

There's even one job I may miss out, in LA, on because I pack the books too well, for transport. This one non-US auction house may send their people over to handle it, instead. Which would be a hoot. How're they sourcing packing materials and working out the logistics of flying it to another country? Which they have to do it they want it in a timely fashion. Ocean transport saves no money under a certain weight level and takes months.

Good thing I'm at the stage where I just shake my head at how fucking stupid people can be...including myself, far too often.

No comments: