Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, February 7, 2023

LA is a great big freeway...

 I spent half of yesterday on the freeways going places to see friends...and I don't know what's going on, but suddenly half of the other drivers are going below the speed limit instead of 20 mph over it. Three times -- twice on the 101 and once on the 5 -- I got caught behind some minivan or pickup truck that was going 55 in a 65 zone. And It was hard to pass them because of the others on my left whipping past fast enough to make my rented Corolla shiver. Mondo bizarro...

I worked up a rough sketch of the front of Aunt Mari's home, in Houston, to help me better visualize it for Brendan. I may do one of the back and his pool house, too. And then there's his two homes in Derry -- off Nailor's Row and then Clíodhna Place off Abbey Street. I did a map...but more visuals to help me is better.

In the never give up category...I have a horror script called Mine to Kill that I couldn't get to really work...until yesterday. The protagonist is an intern who's an empathic-intuitive, times a hundred. He knows what's wrong with people before they know, themselves. The antagonist is a veterinarian whose husband is emotionally abusive and cheating on her. He's in a car wreck and the intern tries to save him because he can see the man is being dragged to hell...but it's no good. The vet blames the intern for letting him die and decides to bring her husband back to life using the intern's blood and organs.

I wrote it first as a script years and years ago, but it takes forever to get going. All the back story and explanation and grounding it in people's actions...and while I pulled off some truly scary moments, it didn't hold together. Until I had the idea to change the whole structure. I have a short ghost story I wrote about a young doctor learning he is damned good at his job because he saves the life of a young man who's been dead for twenty years...and it's not being used in any ways, so...

If I adapt that into the first act of MTK, to establish the intern's abilities, then jump to the man dying in a car wreck and reveal his abusiveness as his wife fights to save him, it might work a lot better. Something to think about...

No comments: