Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Lamb curry...

When I lived in LA, I found an Indian restaurant at the corner of La Cienega and San Vicente, by Beverly Center, called India's Grill that made a lamb curry to die for. Rich, thick sauce. Just the right amount of spices. Served with Basmati rice. And also veggie Samosas with a mango chutney that was beyond elegant. I would eat there whenever I could, and always got the same dish.

After I moved, whenever I was in LA it was one of the places I made a pilgrimage to, if at all possible (along with Marix for TexMex, In-n-Out for burgers, Carney's for a hot dog, and Panda Express for their Beijing Beef). I couldn't find comparable places anywhere else I went to, and I tried more than a few Indian, Chinese and Tex-Mex places. Just never right.

But then a place opened here in Buffalo, in a strip mall, that had a curry sauce almost as good as India's Grill. Called Taj Grill. And that's been my place for Indian food, since, even though their Samosas aren't quite as good and their mango chutney is only okay.

But last night, after far too long at the office dealing with paperwork and also cat-sitting a couple of elderly Bermans who have trouble finding the litter box, I indulged and even ordered Naan, which I don't normally have. Pigged out. Called it my celebration dinner for getting LD redone (now available in ebook through Smashwords and Kobo for $0.99) and, after the last few days of crankiness and aches and irritations, I felt like a million bucks.

Shot my blood sugar through the roof, but I've got leftovers for lunch, tomorrow, and don't have anything more to do at the office. And that makes me happy.

No comments: