Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, May 11, 2023

Oops...

I finally got a proof for the paperback version of The Lyons' Den...and promptly found some issues. The cover had a couple of black spots in the corners and along the bottom edge. The trim was being cut farther out than I expected, so I had to fix that.

I also noticed I'd started to put the photographer's name on the copyright page and stopped. Not cool. I mean, it's on the cover but I like to do it there, too, but not completing it looked inconsistent, because I've done it on my other books.

Last of all, the odd numbers weren't centered at the bottom of their pages. But even after knowing about it, the numbers on the Word doc looked fine. Same for the PDF. It took me a few minutes to figure out the margin was wrong on the odd pages in the footer, only. By two spaces. Easy to fix, but irritating that I didn't see it earlier.

So I uploaded everything, again, and am going through the queue to get a new proof. Hopefully, this one will be in good shape. Never had these issues, before. However, now the paperback won't be out till near Memorial Day.

Today was spent at the office, dealing with prepping export licenses. I also booked another job in Connecticut, immediately after the one in Tampa, so changed my flight and arrangements. Going Buffalo to Tampa to Hartford back to Buffalo. Bing, bang, boom. Gonna be rough but I'll be happy to get the money. It's obvious I won't win the lottery anytime soon.

Yesterday, I wrote a 2000 word section where Leonides catches a deserter who's killed an old man. He's stealing the dead man's clothes. Léon grabs him, washes him in a nearby river then rapes him and feeds on him, to the death. It's going at the beginning, which establishes just how brutal Léon can be, and I think will add tension to the whole interaction between Léon and Franz. I'm keeping in mind my lead character is a bloodsucker as well as a father fucker.

Just doing what I can to keep the balance.

No comments: