Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Explosive...so far

Well...I seem to have a new screenplay coming together...and have 20 pages of the script written. Current title -- "The Alice 65", which is a very rare edition of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" printed in 1865. Only 9 copies are known to exist; I just made up a tenth one and my hero, Adam is sent from London to LA to pick it up.

Meaning, Adam's become British and older, 30. He reads and rarely goes to movies, and does not follow pop culture...except for science fiction novels...so he has no idea what he's getting into with a young movie starlet, Casey, and her big, bad, butch, action-hero ex-ex-boyfriend, Lando.

As I was working on the opening, more characters popped in who want the book -- a Russian oligarch, a Chinese billionaire, and a media tycoon in Sydney, Australia. And they will stop at nothing to get it. God knows how that will work out.

So...there's the set up. Now comes the question -- will there be comedy? I dunno. I still have to write tonight's scene, where we're going to push over the next two classes to see just how far we can take it. I'm aiming for when Adam and Lando meet for the second time, and verbal daggers fly...which may lead into something more.

I can see Russell Tovey as Adam. I know he can act; he was in "Little Dorritt" and "The Hounds of Baskerville" (the Benedict Cumberbatch version).

But I guess I shouldn't get too locked into anything. I've left open his description -- 30, glasses, bookish -- so that could fit any number of British actors, even Daniel Radcliffe...in a few years.

I guess I should see how this turns out. Who knew I'd be writing another screenplay, just because I'm taking a comedy writing class? It's too bizarre.

But that's me to a "t".

No comments: