Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, September 17, 2012

I should never make plans

The second I do, something screws them up. Today, I was going to leave work a bit early, pick up my mail, get to work on A65 by 7, after dinner...and instead I worked late and got damn little else done. Seems a shipment that I wasn't even involved with had the wrong paperwork, and I spent from 3:30 to 5:30 scrambling to get the right paperwork into the airline in time for the package to make its flight. Made it by 5:29...but my brain was mush.

I still managed to go over 10 pages of A65 and added in a couple scenes where the story felt lacking. Once I did that, I shifted half the info in one scene to the two of them and started building a theme of people who are trapped, whether by their own design or the design of others. And how they break free.

Adam's life was set up by himself. He's a bit cloistered, doesn't drive, can't swim, and books are his life. He's closed off the real world and is turning into a fuddy-duddy before he's even 30.

Casey's a lot stronger and not willing to take the bullshit people hand out. She's also controlling and selfish and used to being used. That Adam doesn't use her starts her thinking maybe she's trapped herself into a version of life that doesn't really suit her.

Lando is trapped by his ambition and need.

And yet...it's still funny. I think. to set things up a bit better, I used the old trope of someone trapped in a car as the driver whips in and out of traffic on the PCH like it's a speedway...like Hitchcock's done a couple times. Steal from the best, I say...and that way the info gets out while you're having fun at the passenger's expense.

I hope. Won't know till the whole script's done and I'm ready to get feedback.

No comments: