Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Respite

Still working on the final version of the scene I'm working on for my final day of the class. I'm doing the bit where Adam sneaks into Lando's back yard, trying to find Casey, only to find out that Lando has a black female panther corralled in. I'll post it, tomorrow.

In the meantime...
This is the upper Hudson River Valley, looking south, near Bear Mountain Bridge (which I couldn't get a decent photo of). The lower left quarter has the train tracks that the 20th Century Limited used to follow, as in the whole train sequence in "North By Northwest." That's the route I go when I ride the train between Buffalo and NYC...and will be in December. That should be fun.
I stopped in Rochester to get some barbecue sauce as a birthday present for a co-worker. She likes this place downtown called Dinosaur. You can see it to the very right of the white building; it's that little red and brown structure and used to be a train depot, as I understand.

The white building is the public library, and the arches are part of a bridge from one side of downtown to another. This is the first time I've actually investigated that bridge...and here's the interior.
It used to be a subway, and above it was the Erie Canal before it was rerouted away from downtown Rochester. Since the river's so shallow, here, they used a bridge for the canal boats, for a while. The drawings and photos actually look very impressive.
The subway disappeared into these nice spooky tunnels. Gives me lots of ideas for horror stories, ghost stories, that sort of thing. They even echo.
This should be readable, if you blow it up. It explains everything, every neatly, and has nice images.

I should go exploring like this, more often. You never know what you'll find.

No comments: