Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Writing is re-writing...and rewriting...and...

I had to do some major revisions to the work I'd already done...mainly because of logistics, not character. Initially I had Casey's house in Malibu on the ocean and Lando's in Beverly Hills...but that didn't work. They need to be closer together, and I can't drop the B-Hills part because of a scene where Adam tries to get on a bus headed for Santa Monica.

I'm also finding the story is gently aligning itself with some of the events in "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland." Gertrude is the Cheshire Cat. I've got the Mad Hatter's tea party pretty much set up; just need the sleepy hedgehog and the vested rabbit...which may work in thanks to characters who've popped up. But that leaves the Queen and caterpillar. And how could I work in the croquet match?

It's been so long since I read the book...but I don't want it to be too obvious an alignment, so I'm not going to read it, again. Just rely on my vague memory to keep it low key.

I also changed Adam's shower during the Orisi reworking of him to a bath. Works better and now figures in later.

I think I've fallen in love with Adam and Casey. I want things to work out between them, but reality is...they're from completely different worlds. We'll have to leave that option open, for now, but I can't imagine her leaving her career to be with him. Nor does that work for me, politically. I hate it when women give up their dreams for their men. Why can't it be the other way around?

Case in point -- Ross and Rachel in "Friends". She gave up her dream job to be with him. Why couldn't he have gone to Paris to be with her? They don't teach paleontology at the Sorbonne? There's no Museum of Natural History in any of the Arrondisements? C'mon. this is the 21st Century; movies need to catch up to the realities of the times.

BUT...and this a biggie...what would Adam do if he gave it all up for Casey? Become an antiquarian dealer? I know those people. NOT a good choice.

Still got my thinking cap on for that.

No comments: