Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, August 2, 2013

Back to the OT

I'm writing the ending to "...Owen Taylor" so I can make this thing start drawing to a close. Once I have that taken care of, I can make the rest of the story fit into it and maybe streamline it some.

I had this whole side plot about one of the cops who messed with Jake being accused of Owen's murder, even though they don't have a body, yet. My initial plan was to have Jake and Antony return to Denmark and rebuild their lives, and let the cop deal with the accusation and threat of trial for a year. Even though Jake already knew who the real killer was. But that's no longer viable within the new framework of the story.

Oh, Jake's still going to be a bastard as regards the dicks who tried to fuck him over and the killer, but in a much more fun and less asshole-ish way. I think. Won't know till I know.

I think I've finally caught Amazon underreporting sales. No longer is it just a suspicion. You see, I can go online to find out how "Bobby Carapisi, The Complete Novel" is selling in Kindle; they report sales as soon as they happen. Well...until the end of July, Kindle was showing 4 copies of the electronic download sold. Not much, but it's better than nothing.

But then, when August 1st hit, it suddenly showed only 3 sales for the previous month. And it's not like someone bought one and then returned it; that's happened twice and it shows up as a return. Nope, this time it's just a blatant decrease of a single book.

Now this isn't a lot of money...but consider this -- Amazon has hundreds of thousands of authors offering books through them. If they underreported just one book per author, per month, that's an extra million or two extra in their coffers. And how you gonna prove they've done it? Have them audited? I can't even begin to imagine how much that would cost. All over a $3 book?

I should have taken a snapshot of the page showing sales were at 4, but I honestly never thought they'd be so blatant about it. Amazing. Seems the only way you know for sure you're getting all the money you should for your work is to sell it out of the back of your car.

Such is life in the big city.

No comments: