Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, August 8, 2013

There will be blood...


...Not all of it Jake's or Tone's, but it's going to be shed. Things I'd tossed off in the first chapters are suddenly showing up as important to the story's arc. Startled the hell out of me, but not Jake. He's on top of it, now. He knows who he is and he's let me in on it.

Damn, yesterday was rough. And almost tragic. Jake and I battled it out in my brain till I had one of the worst headaches ever. Well...not as bad as this one in Houston, where I wound up on Fiorinal and had such a freaky reaction to the damn drug, I nearly swallowed the whole friggin' bottle. I scared some people I worked with almost as much as I scared myself.

So yesterday was handled with half an hour under a nice hot shower, two Advil and a slathering of Icy hot on my neck and shoulders. Of course, part of the problem might be my working setup. I need a real desk, not my art table or card table. And a better chair so I sit right. But I'm not able to do anything along those lines, right now, thanks to my financial situation.

I've realized what I'm aiming for in the story's structure is James M. Cain's sense of logical follow-through. I read "The Postman Always Rings Twice" after I'd seen the Lana Turner/John Garfield version of the movie. So I thought I knew what was coming in the book and could just enjoy reenacting the story in my brain. Didn't happen. There were little things that jolted me out of my complacency so consistently and so appropriately, it was like I was reading a whole new version.

I want that for "The Vanishing of Owen Taylor". I want the logic to be consistent and make sense at the end, so if anyone does reread the book, they'll see where it was set up...but not before. Pretty tall order. Gonna take some rewrites.

But Jake's got it goin' on, so here's trusting the little bastard...

No comments: