Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, August 5, 2013

Sleepless in Buffalo

I never got fully to sleep, last night, for some reason. I'd drift close and then just stop, my brain whizzing from one thing to another. It's normal for me to have a problem sleeping the night before a trip; I'm trying to make sure I've got everything set, and no matter how hard I try, I still wind up forgetting something. But usually I'm gone the second my head hit s the pillow.

But last night...I don't know what it was, unless my brain wanted to keep working on OT. None of my tricks shut it down. Or distracted it. On the occasions where I do have a problem, I do goofy things like recite all the Best Supporting Actress winners in the Oscars, from 1936 on. If I ever had to do that for a quiz show, I'd get 100 percent.

Of course, Zyrtek doesn't help. It makes me drowsy but at the same time unless I crash for a nap soon as I get home, it doesn't do anything for me at night. Just makes it hard to get up in the morning. And...thinking about it...I didn't get up, Sunday, till nearly noon. Maybe I just wasn't worn out enough.

Something I will say is, I slip into dreams a lot easier. I've had some vivid ones when I've been crashed out. I don't remember them except in the abstract, but I think they're helping Jake clear my head for the path we need to take. I'd been looking at those errors about Tiago and Lemm, and other things, since I wrote them and wasn't even seeing a problem...untill I got back onto it after having been to Dachau. Now I see where I've gotten too clever with the story, by half.

Seems I can't shake the Germans. They're still out to make my life hell. Turns out the export company we hooked up with told me they'd prepare the pallets for shipment, early last week...but didn't actually do it till late Friday afternoon. And we still don't have the shipment booked to go by sea freight. This, after a week of asking for the weight and dimensions of the pallets the boxes had been built to so we could finalize the bill of lading. Then today, this guy with the company asks me if we want them to proceed with making the booking, even though I sent them an e-mail on Friday saying, please make the booking and get back to me.

I have a coworker who micromanages most of the shipping companies we deal with. I'd always thought she was a bit anal, as did our boss. After this...I can see why she's like that. If you don't outline everything you want them to do, and then call them and bug them about it every day, they don't do it. Even if they tell you they will.

I need to work this into a script or story...if I can make it believable.