Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, August 30, 2013

Dinner

I made a potato bisque that turned out really well.

3 tablespoons unsalted butter (I use Land O' Lakes made with Olive Oil)
3 slices bacon (got a baggie of bacon bits, for that)
1 small onion, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
12 oz. beer (Grolsch)
3 cups beef broth (it calls for chicken but that'd make me sick)
3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 cup cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Heat the butter in a soup pot over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook. Add onion, carrot and saute for 5 minutes. Add the beer, broth, and potatoes. Salt and pepper is up to you. Bring it to a boil then simmer for 30-45 minutes, until potatoes are soft. Add the cream and puree in a food processor (I don't have one so I use a tea strainer, scooping out the potatoes with a sieve spoon and mashing them up in that, with a fork; takes a while but works). Transfer soup back to the pot and cook over moderate heat. Stir in the cheese. Serve hot or cold.

It's different from the potato soup I normally make, that uses ham and a hint of mint...but it's damn good. I got the recipe out of a local paper called ArtVoice.

It was a day of errands and running around, so I didn't get onto OT till nearly eight...but it's still moving forward. I cleaned up some of what I'd done the last couple days and now know where the final confrontation is going to be, and when. It'll mean going back to set it up better, but that'd a small problem.

Uh-oh...maybe I shouldn't have said that...

1 comment:

MAC said...

I haven't tried potato bisque, sounds delicious. I enjoy crab bisque... I'll have to give your recipe a try.