Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, August 8, 2014

New dog tries new trick...

I have ordered pants online for the first time in my life. I've ordered shirts, plenty of times, even undies and all sorts of other things. And I did buy some cabana loungers with a drawstring waist, years and years ago. But I can't find cargo pants in Buffalo, in my size, so I ordered two pair from Old Navy. I should have them in a few days.

Damn things ain't cheap -- $30 each, on special -- but I need new clothes. I'm down to 1 truly decent pair of pants and 3 so-so ones. Gotta try to at least appear to be neat.

I'm leery of doing this because I've found such wide discrepancies in sizes. One brand will fit me while another doesn't even come close, both in the exact same size and basic style. I don't do slim-cut; it feels like they're binding my legs even though there's still space in them. And I like cargo pants because they have pockets in the legs, so I don't have to put my wallet in my butt pocket. So we'll see how these do when they come. I went a bit large, just to be safe.

Of course, this is how I think I look when I'm in them -- very Joe Cool...sans cigarette since I've never smoked. But even when I was young and weighted 145, I didn't look like that. My body's not built for abs and my face was never meant for a James Dean frown.
This is closer to my reality...sans beard, since I can't grow one. The goofy style of my own, but with a satchel slung around my neck instead of a scarf.

I have to admit, there are times I look in the mirror and am shocked at what I see. Still...my hair is more red than not, as is my mustache. And I haven't gained any weight in the last three years, but neither have I lost any. Dammit.

I wonder if I can blame Zyrtek for that?

No comments: