Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Inputting, again...

Time to polish up my first draft of ...Owen Taylor and print it up so I can take it with me to LA on Saturday. All 500+ pages. Or thereabouts. To do another red pen, if I have the time. I've input the first two chapters and already dropped 3 pages. That may not last, however. When I redid the last 20 pages, I added in more of a summation about what happened to people.

It was a fun little war, getting to this point. Jake and I are both well-bloodied. He's still fighting my tendency to soften the entry into moments or comments; he wants it straight and clean and sharp as a knife. And he's winning, as he should, since he's telling the story.

But he's had to give me something, in exchange. He can't just sit down and say he wasn't thinking about anything, he was so wrecked by what's happened. He's got to share his meaning on the page, not just in the shadows.

Right now, I think the final reveal is still too easy...and yet, confusing. And surprisingly amoral. I'm letting one character get away with murder. Literally. That's going to be interesting.

I just heard Lauren Bacall died. She wasn't a great actress but she had a sassiness to her that worked in the right project. Her showing she could be just as insolent and independent as Bogie in To Have and Have Not and The Big Sleep is reason enough to mourn her passing.

That's two, this week, and these things come in threes...

No comments: