Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Write it down or else!

I had a great idea for Jake's situation in OT, while working, and stupidly did not write it down. I figured it was so good, I'd remember it. DUMB! I've been wracking my brain for a couple hours trying to niggle that twitch out of hiding in my synapses...and it ain't makin' itself known a bit. It's like a cat -- when you want to find it, you can't; then when you don't want it around, it's in your face.

Don't get me wrong, I love cats. I'd have one if they weren't such selfish little shits. I'm the only selfish being allowing in any relationship, right now...so I'd be better off with a dog. But dogs need yards and I've got an apartment, so that's not gonna be fair to the critter.

It's better if I not have an animal, anyway. My family has lousy luck with them. They either run off, die, or have to be given away. My last cat did the first one, when I changed apartments in Houston. Oh, he'd show up for food, every night, but wouldn't let me touch him. He wasn't crazy about the new place.

When I was leaving for LA, I looked for him to take him back to our original apt. A neighbor'd said he'd take care of him. Couldn't find him. Then the little shit showed up as I was packing my car and yeowled at me. Never let me close to him, just kept meowing. Then he left...and I felt like scum of the earth for leaving him.

Jewish mothers and Irish Catholic grandmothers could learn a thing or two about guilt trips from pissed-off cats.

No comments: