Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Dealing...

Well...you can make all the plans you want, but until they actually happen, nothing is guaranteed. I'm currently sitting in a Starbuck's using a gift card that was so kindly sent to me (by Michael) to have a nice cup of tea and banana nut bread, to settle down. I'm also using their most excellent WiFi. I have another gift card to use for tomorrow, too, sent by my buddy, Brad.

I used to do this a lot when I lived in Texas, because my mother didn't have an internet connection and I didn't have the money to start one up. A shopping mall within walking distance had free wifi, too, and I could use that for an hour. I also did Starbuck's for a month in Buffalo while waiting to get Fios set up. I like their teas (they turned me onto Tazo's Refresh Mint) and cookies, and having money again made me a lot happier.

It's amazing how dependent you become on a decent internet connection, so that when you hit a place that doesn't have decent service, it drives you up the wall. Especially when you can't even get into some of the sites you need. For example, my Caladex e-mail is through a service that kicks you off if you don't use it for more than 30 seconds. And last night I had to try three times to upload a post on my own blog.

I'm here to look into using what points I have at a couple of hotel chains and with a rental car company to get away from a deteriorating situation where I'm staying. I'd like things to be better, but it's hard to do when no one will listen to you. And when you're surrounded by smokers.

Okay, I'm veering into complaint territory, and I do not want that, either. I spent too damn much time on my blog in the past whining about everything wrong in my life and that is pointless. I am where I am in this world, and I either change it or accept it and work around the issues.

As I'm doing now.

No comments: