Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Not a polish...it's a rewrite...

As I input all the changes I've made to OT, I'm finally having to say this is really a second draft. The first draft was rough but there enough to matter. I was thinking all I'd do is smooth it up to make it into something presentable, but it's been shifted a lot and rearranging is still ongoing. As are cutting and occasional pasting...so it's all new, now. And I need to do another one to make sure all my bases are covered.

At least Jake's voice is clearer in this draft. In fact, each character is beginning to alter his or her speech patterns, a bit, to make them distinctive from each other. Some have pulled back from the foul language Jake uses. Antony, I had no problem with because he's a continuation of his character in "Rape in Holding Cell 6". Matt's become too one-note, so he needs more attention. Everyone else is new, so their verbal revelations are still coming together.

I've got 70 pages left to input. I'm trying to build the story so it's not necessary to read the first book, but I don't know how successful I've been. I may only be confusing the issue. Still, this ain't gonna be no Agatha Christie mystery, with cardboard characters and as shallow as of a puddle of water. I got a friggin' Great Lake going here.

Guess that comes from being in proximity to 2 of them.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Glad to hear it's finally coming together. I miss Jake, Antony and Matt. I'm sure you'll find a way to make Matt less one-note. He's a nice guy that can throw down with the bad boys and beat them down when he needs to. His first encounter with Antony is one of my favorite parts in RIHC6v2.

JamTheCat said...

Gee...I wonder why...;)