Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, November 10, 2018

Toronto bound in the am...

I'm checking a couple of book dealers from the US out of the Toronto International Antiquarian Book Fair, tomorrow, so won't get a lot of writing done. Then Wednesday I'm off to Washington DC for another packing job. I'm just at 17,600 words on DW so am beginning to wonder if I will make it.

Today I had my car serviced so did some work while waiting, then I had some decent BBQ at a Dickey's. It's a chain but it's better than anything else I've found up here because they have a good spicy sauce. After that it took me half an hour to buy friggin' milk at a grocery store because it was so packed and I was too stubborn to return the milk and just get some at a gas station en route home even though it costs a buck extra there...but it fit my mood.

I'm sort of lost in the story, right now, so did some rewriting that added some bits and helped me clarify some things and now wonder if the story isn't a bit boring? It's sort of a character study of two men -- one dead, one alive -- but it's not very interesting or meaningful, yet. I know I'm just doing the first rough draft to figure out what the story's about and why Jacob causes such chaos and what the meaning is of the window Dair's not working on so I can keep from wasting time and effort...but it ain't working.

I'm finally seeing Adam clearly and seeing his shift from, basically, a feral cat that will happily eat the food you leave out for it but won't let you scratch its ears to a happy tabby that just wants to rub against you and be cuddled. Dair, however, is a different story. He's still too tightly wound for me to understand and work towards...and half the problem is how I'm starting his part of the story -- years after Adam has died and he's dealt with a hideous legal situation due to his dead partner's hypocritical parents. He's got walls up for protection.

Doesn't help that Wallace has pretty much destroyed Dair's love for Adam while defending him in court. Which makes me wonder -- why would Dair let a man like that get close to him unless he didn't really love Adam? Unless Wallace is just revealing his true deeper feelings about him? I have no idea. Oh, Dair's talking to me, sure...but not about anything.

And it's driving me nuts.

No comments: