Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, November 23, 2018

I'm not gonna make it...

I've run out of story on Dair's Window and I'm at 38,300 words. I'm digging and going through what I've written and a lot of it's whiny and tedious...so this may be a story that's not ready to be told or just plain isn't novel material. More like novella. No padding allowed in those.

I really do get the sense the story's only partially prepped in my head. The characters can't decide who they are, yet; they keep shifting back and forth as to what the story's about. One character has decided to take on a more powerful role as villain and is proving to be interesting but is worthy of a lot more care than I can give at the moment.

I suppose I could cheat and say I made 50K...but I'm the only one I'd be cheating, nobody else. Kind of silly to do that, I think. Just self-defeating. I'll keep at it, but I don't expect to achieve my goal on this.

I got some artwork I'd commissioned to use as the cover of Underground Guy...and it didn't turn out like I wanted. It's good and polished, but it's not right. It's...nice...a bit on the cartoonish side...no, really more like Yaoi or Manga than anything. Not the least bit raw, and that story is not nice. It would be completely wrong to use. So I'm back to square one -- using my own photo worked over in Photoshop.

This is the second time I've asked for artwork and gotten what I asked for and it's turned out wrong. I must be bad at explaining what I really want. That or I'm choosing the wrong artists for the project...which is probably more likely. I have a habit of grabbing the wrong thing at the wrong time.

That's my way -- going right when I should go left...

No comments: