Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, November 19, 2018

Lost...

Just when I think I've found the thread I need to make DW a coherent story with meaning instead of just a character study of a man trying to rebuild his life...it breaks. The only consistency I've found, so far, is Dair and Adam loved each other, deeply, madly, truly. And that was taken away from Dair. And Adam knows of his turmoil and pain but can't do anything to stop it from where he is.

Something that seems to be building in this is Dair becoming aware of how vile people can be while seeming to be on your side. His sister-in-law is one; she testifies on behalf of Adam's parents when they sue Dair then purrs some hideous things about Adam as an apology after the fact...and nearly gets her head ripped off. Of course, then she plays victim to his irrational behavior.

I can see anger building in Dair even in this fractured story. Adam dies in an avalanche while protecting his skiing students. One dies with him but the rest are saved. He's only allowed to be a hero until someone informs the press he slept with men or women for money. That starts the anger building.

Then Adam's parents won't even let Dair say goodbye to his body but cut him off...even after having disowned Adam. Then comes the lawsuit and Dair being forced to leave his home by a homophobic judge...hmm...it almost seems like too much is being heaped on him...and probably is in order to make up for a lack of knowing how to handle the story. I'm slinging everything at it to see what sticks.

I guess I'll keep doing that till I hit 50K in wordage or the end of the month cuts me off.

No comments: