Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, November 25, 2018

7200 to go...

I'm closing in on 50K with Dair's Window but it's going to be close. I'm at the point where the wedding is about to take place and haven't got much story left to build upon -- about 5000 words left to add the 7200 to. The 42,800 includes the full script I shifted to narrative format so the story is basically written to the end, but it's not really written yet, if that makes sense. I'm going through and filling in the bits that need more description to make sense. So we'll see how it goes.

I still need to add more about Dair's trial for beating up the guy who firebombed his house. And there is that incessant antagonism between him and a local punk. But overall it's a more interior book than I thought it would be. Might be why it's not a very good script; I haven't really dug into it as much as I should have.

So this is kind of a light story, action-wise. It's more about emotions and feelings and contemplations and explanations and it's not very interesting, right now. Once I come back to it, I'll do what I can to make it better...starting with coherence and consistency. My two big bugaboos...

I'm also changing some names. I don't like Caroline as the name of the villain so will shift it to Sarah. And I gave Bobby and Nelda a last name -- Szebeniec...which is Poilish-ish for madman.

I couldn't do a lot on it today due to having to get ready for my trip to Hong Kong. I've already found I have an issue with my check-in with the Airline. I didn't use my full name when I made the reservation and now they require the name on the ticket match exactly what's on your passport. I'll have to do a manual check in when I get to Toronto's airport, so will need to leave earlier than I expected. Good thing is, the flight's not till 1:20am Tuesday.

I'm feeling a bit paranoid, right now, after the debacle with that shipment from DC. Turns out the damage was done in the delivery truck, so at least no paperwork was lost. But now I'm freaky about everything so am taking extra information with me to Hong Kong to make sure I'm covered.

Also feeding into my paranoia is learning a friend from Heritage Book Shop is in Hong Kong. I sent him a message saying I'd be there and maybe we could get together and got a "Sorry, I'm leaving that day." It reminded me he's never been very chatty on Facebook, just polite. Guess he's not really a friend, just an acquaintance, now.

Sometimes it takes me a while to get the hint...

No comments: