Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, November 15, 2018

Workin' it...

Job done. Pickup tomorrow. I could not live in DC. Parts of it are really pretty but the attitude of people and the drivers brings out the worst of my LA beast behind the wheel. And so much of it is tight. Seriously...San Francisco tight. Not my idea of a great place to spend your life.

My hotel is...odd. Comfortable but very motel in style. I'm on the second floor so had to carry my bags up steps that were made for size-fives. And it's got a Keurig coffee maker (that I use to make tea) and which I do NOT like. The water comes out tepid, and I've found the same in other Keurigs I've had to use. I wind up having to nuke my tea for a minute to make it drinkably hot. But it does have a microwave, iron and board, free parking...and it was available.

I didn't do a lot of writing on DW when I got back; I was beat. On my feet six straight hours shifting and building boxes and packing and moving things around, but I did have an interesting thought about why I can't figure Dair out. I think I'm hitting at it from the wrong direction. I wanted him flawed or tormented in some way and finding Adam to be his saving grace...and that just wasn't working. It's SOOOOOOO typical. So Screenwriting 101. Two damaged people meet and make each other whole, again. UGH.

So while I'm working I'm thinking and wondering what I'm missing and then realized I wrote it last night. Dair's decent and kind. He's loving. He sees Adam as a wounded creature and connects with him and saves him...and is torn up when he loses him. He doesn't need the melodramatic crap of being damaged, himself, to be worthy of having his story told. He's been kicked overboard into an ocean of doubt and hate and is fighting to get back to shore.

That's what finally came out tonight. I began to write the bit when he calls off the wedding and to my shock he said Wallace killed Adam in his fight to protect Dair. Not physically but psychically. He's the reason Dair can't see Adam in his mind's eye, anymore. He's the reason Dair can't create wonders with his art, anymore. In order to fight off the legal maneuverings of Adam's parents, he destroyed Adam...and the fight Wallace and Dair have is cold and harsh and brutal...and Wallace is finally shown to be a manipulative political machine, not a man.

It seems Dair's story is about Dair regaining control of his life and rebuilding his ability to not give a shit what other people think.

No comments: