Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, April 14, 2024

Amazonicus-inrterruptus...

I'm halfway through this red pen edit of New World For Old. Jeremy's back from Israel, having fought in the Yom Kippur War, and Brendan is the only one who notices he's changed. Mainly because Brendan's seen the same thing in friends of his back in Derry.

Jeremy also senses that Brendan has seen death, like he has, and would understand his emotional distress. They become good tight friends over the Fourth of July holiday, thanks to both having nervous reactions to all the fireworks and gunfire.

I'd be further along but an issue with Amazon came up. My book, Hunter, is no longer being sold by them. It's been shunted onto third party suppliers who are charging 10-25% more than I do. It's still available at the correct price through B&N and BAM, but at Amazon it looks like it's out of print.

I tried to find out what's going on and spent 3 solid hours getting shunted about from one unhelpful twerp to another. Online messaging. Phone call. Texting. Posting queries on my author page. Then finally I got a link that took me to a page where I could do nothing because the book does not have an ASIN; it's got an ISBN.

Well, when you hit a brick wall...all you can do is step back and stop hitting it. And from now on direct people to BAM or B&N. And if they insist on buying through Amazon, let them pay the extra money. I'll still get my part because the suppliers will need to order it through Ingram.

I checked my other books and all of them are fine. Maybe I'll look into becoming a seller of my own books through Amazon, at the correct price, and see if I can make a better cut, that way. It's stupid, but that's Amazon. It's not like they haven't been stupid with me, before.

I'm now back to thinking about NWFO and probably should label this draft 9, since I've done a fair bit of restructuring. We'll see what happens when I input the corrections I'm making.

No comments: