Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, April 8, 2024

Ring bindered...

Busy day. Had an ophthalmology appointment to check on my right eye. Got dilated and told I can't watch the eclipse because it might cause permanent damage, so to be mean I called in clouds. If I can't see the sun, nobody can.

This photo is the height of it, at 3:20pm. By 3:24 it was daylight, again. Here's a brief video I took, as well. Clouds were gone by 6pm.

I've put APoS-NWFO into ring binders and tomorrow I will dig into them. 31 chapters, half in 1 and half in the other. I had to empty one binder of an earlier draft of the story...that was only 315 pages long, double-spaced Courier 12point font. It's changed a bit.

What's nice is reading notes I'd made of things to add to the story to make it better and forgotten about. Most were cheesy, but some were good and I will consider adding. But it's about time to start packing this volume's papers into a bankers box ready for storage, all the information I've got. I think the story is pretty tight...so those notes had better be really impressive to be fitted in.

I finished reading The Detective Up Late and it was okay. McKinty's style is taut and lean almost to the point of emaciated, but the story moved fairly fast and had an upbeat ending. I didn't buy a couple aspects of the subplots, but they were unimportant. What was fun is, since the story was set in 1990 I knew the references made, here and there, and his comments on groups like The Official IRA were fun.

No comments: