Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, April 5, 2024

Draft 7 is done

I pushed through, today, and hit the end of New World For Old just a few minutes ago. 145,566 words. It ends when Brendan find out out his mother's cancer is terminal and he needs to go home...and wishes he could avoid doing so.

APoS-Home Not Home will pick up from there as he makes plans for his trip and works out a way to keep from being found out. He knows the British still basically want to speak with him about the bombing, so he can't return as Brendan. Nor is he happy about being Brennan McGabbhinn. He has to do something else...and does.

Jesus, there's a lot that happens in this volume. I'm torn between doing draft 8 and just sending it out to get feedback, first, to see if it's working. Now would be the time, since I want to publish it in about four months, and I'm only just beginning to pull together the cover artwork.

I honestly think I'm at the point where I'm looking more for typos and aspects of the story that don't work for a reader, so it's best to just send it out and deal with the response. Brendan's a bit unsure about it all, but that doesn't matter, right now. I'll be doing another rewrite once it comes back so why the fuck not do it right?

I'll decide tomorrow. Or Sunday. Or after the eclipse.

No comments: