Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Almost halfway...

Decent trip. Both flights were on time. the only issue was having to walk from the end of Terminal C at Baltimore to the middle of Terminal B, which is about half a mile. Then in Providence, you have to walk another half mile to get to the rental cars. And tomorrow will be the reverse. I'm getting my steps in.

I got a fair amount of editing done on NWFO during the flights and now at my hotel. I had dinner at a Panda Express in a mall that was good but skimpy. Rain is expected early in the morning but should be done by the time we start loading the shipment. We'll see how it goes. 

I've cut the book back to 142,500 words. At this rate, it will be the same length as APoS-Derry, which is good. So far I haven't found anything that's really squirrelly in it. Just condensing comments Brendan says and minimizing his repetitions. I don't want readers to get sick of him referring back to Joanna, over and over and over. Or the violence between his parents. And while he usually treats people decently and with kindness, he can also be something of a dick.

That was an aspect of The Lord of the Rings trilogy that drove me nuts -- the constant referral to Aragorn as being noble and caring and pained and all that noble shite. Over and over and over. Brendan's got an asshole side, and that's good. I don't want him to be perfect. I wouldn't be able to write him, if he was perfect.

God knows, I've never been perfect.

No comments: