Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, October 29, 2011

47 directions to take

Today was one of those odd times where every five minutes I wanted to head in a different direction -- write, paint, go for a walk, prepare for NaNoWriMo, clean my desk off, plan to shoot a short film (I've got a tight script but it's 14 pages and pretty damned intense) with the idea of posting it in 3 minute increments on YouTube. Major lack of focus.

It didn't help that I had to do some work for the money-paying job -- coaxing a book dealer into correcting errors on their paperwork in time to get it to our foreign broker so it could be imported into another country. It seems even if you give some people exact instructions AND provide examples, they won't do what you tell them they need to do. Or they only do it halfway. And it's driving me nuts.

I finally broke the cycle by walking to a nearby Indian restaurant and having some decent lamb curry and a couple of Samosas. And a beer. And then I was able to hone in on prepping for NaNoWriMo. I still need to clear my desk for working on, but now at least I'm back on track. Dunno why I was so ditzy, I just was. Maybe it's because I was up too soon, today. I'm sleeping in, tomorrow; naps just make me draggy.

November's going to be a trip -- working all day and writing all night. And I have a packing job in NYC to handle, as well. Nothing big; maybe 3 days, depending. But it'll still be intense...and is probably all I'll be talking about. Tomorrow's a short get-together of Buffalo peeps at a downtown coffee shop. I may go, I may not. Don't want the distractions...or to be reminded I'm the oldest person in the local group.

Looks like I'm telling this story in first person, again. It's the easiest way to write and puts the reader straight into what the main character's thinking, feeling and fearful of. And it's going to be a crazy-assed novel. The guy whose story I'm using has Mafia connections; I've already asked him not to hire any hit men when he finally reads it and he swears he won't. But I wouldn't be surprised if he changes his mind. That's how far out I'm going to take it.

So...anybody know some good, obscure Sinatra tunes? Or Dean Martin. I'm already planning to use "Come Fly With Me" and "Ain't That A Kick In The Head?" during some rather...oh...bloody moments.

Hm...I think I saw a bit of the devil in me.

No comments: