Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

NaNoWriMo 2011

I'm preparing to dive into my fifth National Novel Writing Month competition and see if I can get a first draft of this book I've been circling around done. It's the story of a cop who found out NYPD detectives were stealing drugs from the evidence room and replacing them with powdered sugar or something like that, and when he tried to do something about it, he was driven crazy from paranoia and possibly being slipped some hallucinogenic stuff. I initially did a non-linear rewrite on it for the man whose life it's based on and he liked what I did, but no one was interested because the same story was basically told in Serpico.

Well, after a lot of work, he's asked me to make it into a book. I can't say no because I told him it probably should be one, and I'm already vested in it. But here it is, eight months after I said I'd work on it and I haven't done much, at all. Plus it's interfered with POS on more than one occasion. So now I'm going to get the damn thing out of the way and do it in as obnoxious a manner as I can.

Well...maybe not obnoxious. Just irreverent. I'll stick to the original story as much as I can, but I want to add this layer of chaotic comedy to it to give it its own edge. After all, the guy I'm writing it for is as straight as they come (all puns intended) so I'm sticking to the whole world of boy chases girl, they get married, move to "Lon-G-Island", have a kid and he goes nuts cause he's a cop and they're after him. They really are. We'll see how that goes. Anyway, beginning November 1st, I'll be hot onto it.

I may start it out with a musical number. In a book. Just for the hell of it, to show how nuts the whole enterprise it. By the time I'm done, that cop'll probably hire a hit man...and for some reason, I honestly do think he knows some. I have this wild notion of him imagining a capo offing some dude who needed offing then cutting him up as he whistles "Come Fly With Me", moving the hacksaw in time with the melody. Does that put me in "Sweeney Todd" territory?

Hm...maybe It's time for me to write this because I'm slipping into my psychosis period, again. Just like when a woman has hers, I have mine...just not quite as bloody and often more internal, except when I get pissy with my characters.

Ah, chaos.

No comments: