Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

My world itches

To get back to writing. I haven't done much outside of semi-blogging and journals over the last two weeks. Some notes, here and there. It's like I'm waiting for something. I can't even seem to focus on my artwork. I've got one painting half done and just feel "meh" about it.

I'm in Toronto, now, and will head back to Buffalo tomorrow about noon, if all goes well. I'm helping load in some clients for a book fair. I like the city, for the most part. It seems livable and is relatively easy to get around in. I still haven't gotten used to them calling access roads "collectors" and all the signs being in both French and English, but I do like how I happened to find a massive grocery store in the middle of Mississauga's high-rise condo city that is solely Asian food. Nothing Western in it, at all. There's even a separate room where you can pick out your own crabs to kill and eat. I saw a woman picking them up with bread pinchers and dropping them into a brown bag. I don't now if that's cool or cruel...but it was the first time I've seen it. I left the store, right then.

I don't know if I could kill my food in order to eat it. I guess I would if I was hungry enough, but the idea makes me itch. I was with some friends who brought home live lobsters and cooked them in a massive pot of boiling water...and I couldn't eat it. To be fair -- I'm not big on lobster or crab or even shrimp, so that may have had as much to do with it as anything. But it still bugged me. guess I'm a wuss at heart. Better for me not to see where my burgers come from. I'd probably wind up a vegan, and they get sick all the time.

Now off to bed. I have to get up at 6:30 am and I HATE getting up that early. I'd almost rather that be my bedtime. I'm the kind of guy who likes to have bacon and eggs at 1 in the morning and go to bed about 3. I've always been that way. My best writing times is between 4 pm and 8 pm, even on weekends.

Maybe I'll play the Canadian lottery and see if that will wind up paying for my preferred life.


No comments: