Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, October 10, 2011

I should travel more often

Something about being in a plane going a long distance makes me start working on stories. I have one, now, that has possibilities. The logline -- Three old Army buddies decide to take their recently deceased pal on one last adventure, even if it kills them. I've got the characters basically mapped out (retired men, mainly) and some of the angles figured, know who the bad guys are, and even have the grandson of one of the guys coming along for the ride. I'm setting part f it in Buffalo and part in the Caribbean...but I have to be careful to use only US islands. There are major restrictions on a non-parent taking an underage kid into and out of most countries. Initially I was going to set it in Brazil, but their Visa requirements killed that.

It's a very commercial story -- old men on one last adventure, learning about themselves and growing even though they've grown old, a boy learning about life, all that crap. I've seen "Grumpy Old Men" and "Waking Ned Devine" but now I guess I'll have to watch "The Bucket List" too.

(I had to post this before I was done with it, because if you don't have activity on the WiFi here, it kicks you off. And apparently just writing on my blog is not considered activity.)

I'm sitting in Seattle's Airport -- SeaTac -- which is one of the most livable I've ever been in. JetBlue's terminal at JFK is nice enough, but it's a terminal. All seats and concrete and low windows. SeaTac has an atrium to die for, where you can watch the planes land and take off. I've gotten to where just watching them is fun unto itself...especially when I compare them.

For example -- Southwest's little 737s actually look sneaky when taxiing behind an Airbus 320. The Airbus stands taller and stiffer, while the 737 scoots along like it's about to pull a trick on the other plane. There's also a group of regional propeller jobs run by Alaska and Horizon Air that look more like ferret pups feeding at mom's teats, the way they're congregated around the walkways to the terminal. And the occasional 757 from Delta or Icelandair passes by like a hall monitor or mom walking around to make certain everyone's behaving. It's cute.

I've never felt about any other airport like I have this one. It's my fifth time here, and I can't wait to come back, again.

No comments: