Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Hmmm.....

I was working on prepping for NaNoWriMo and have a goodly amount of stuff together...then this popped up.
Another plan for a painting to do. I had a problem with another shipment, so needed to open PhotoShop to make corrections to some paperwork needed for customs (I was working off PDFs and had no other way to change them), and once I was done, I suddenly found this image.

Okay, that's not exactly true. I'd opened one of my thumb drives to save my work and take it to the office to download into my desktop PC, and an unknown jpeg was on the drive. I opened it to see what it was...and things exploded. The initial image is a torso in full color with some nice shading. But I didn't even try to enhance that; I cropped it, shifted it to monochrome, intensified the contrast and stripped it down to three layers then returned it to RGB and painted in the red. And now I plan to put it on canvas.

I'm not sure how I feel about this image. It's almost violent, even though the model is in a form of repose. But I couldn't stop until it was done. It's been while since I've zoned like that with a piece. I wonder if it has something to do with this story I'm prepping?

There will be some vicious violence in this book...and yet I'm approaching the whole thing like it's a farce. Or very black comedy. Which I don't usually like. I wasn't fond of "Prizzi's Honor", for instance, which is expremely dark humor and at which I did not laugh once. That said, I do like the work of Bertold Brecht and Kurt Weil, whose "Three-Penny Opera" is a classic musical of the purest cynicism. (This is where "Mack the Knife" came from, thirty years before Bobby Darin made it a classic pop tune.) And "The Rules of the Game" is hysterically funny in parts but has an ending that is breathtakingly tragic.

And I think I'm going to pull off something like that? Merde.

Okay...I'm getting into freak-out mode, now. Time to STFU and just let the story tell itself like it wants to. And if it gets me killed by pissed off mobsters, I'll be able to say I died for my art.

Ha! Talk about a lack of reality.

No comments: