Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Ahead of the game

Up to 11,610 words and a couple of interesting moments. Something that keeps popping up is Vinnie's imagination taking him over. It starts out innocently enough, with him daydreaming of a musical number as he watches a beautiful girl walk home with groceries for that night's dinner (this is that "Volare" moment) and begins building so he's filling in what's going on with some of the wiseguys he has to deal with, and cops and such, even though we're not completely sure this is what's actually happening.

I'm not sure how far I'll be able to go with this, but it leads up to the ending very neatly in so many ways. I may add in some absurdist moments, I don't know. Much of this book is going to be very dark and scary (I hope), so the tone may not work for that. Whatever happens, he's finally become my leading character and not the guy who he's based upon. It's kind of cruel, I think, stealing another man's identity to make a fictional story...but he said I could play with the facts as much as I wanted. I think he's hoping for a good payoff on it. Seeing as how I've only made $5000 out of all the writing I've done, (screenplays, books, novellas, but not counting the videos I wrote for commercial projects), I don't hold any hope. But we can see how this does.

I put all my Hitchcock DVDs up for sale to see if I can pull together some cash to pay down my credit cards. Tomorrow I'll add my foreign DVDs to the pile. I'm still struggling to get ahead after that trip to Texas and paying for my mother's funeral...well, paying for a third of it. More than a third, really. And my little brother needs money because he's unemployable, so there goes a chunk. Hell, I haven't been able to even keep pace let alone get ahead. I'm back to where I was twenty years ago -- up to my eyeballs in debt. How stupid.

I can't say it's anybody's fault but mine thanks to some of the choices I made. But then, I've never been good with money. It's the artist in me.

No comments: