Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Cost me $5 to win $3 in the lottery

Not a great return, but since nothing else is working, why not play it? Looks like my odds are just as good as selling a script or coming into enough cash to support me the rest of my life in Ireland or Canada or wherever I'd wind up once POS was written.

Just to prove how crazy (and maybe desperate) I am -- I swore to the fates I'd drop everything and move to Derry and not leave until "Place of Safety" was done and published. That'd be a couple of years, at least, but I don't care. I'm sick of the growing sickness in this country that keeps trending towards some kind of civil war, be it at the ballot box or with bullets.

When it reaches the point where Republican voters cheer a man who has no problem executing innocent people and call "Let him die" to someone who's been irreparably damaged in an accident and send catcalls to a soldier who's actually serving in Iraq and then follow that up with legislation on the state level giving "Christians" the right to bully and berate gay kids (see Michigan for that) and congressmen of both parties are planning to destroy Social Security and extend tax cuts to billionaires to pay for it, and THEN, on top of everything else, go out of their way to excuse one extreme idiot of a GOP candidate's appalling rotten performance at a debate while pissing on women who had the nerve to accuse another asshole of a candidate of sexual harassment more than ten years ago...you can see the country's just going down the drain into the sewer.

We are en route to becoming either a Theocracy or Oligarchy, not a Republic or a Democracy. And I don't want to be here for that. And I have no idea how to fight back.

No comments: