Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Dead in the water

I got nuthin'. I spent all evening trying to find a way into the story and didn't get a single word done. And this weekend I'll be in NYC working a packing job so won't be able to do my usual catch-up. Only good thing is, I'll have Thanksgiving off and probably the Friday after, so a four day weekend will help me get back on track and maybe hit the full 50K in wordage.

Thing is, I don't think it'll be the end of the story. This book is going to be a minimum of 65K in wordage, and I'm still not completely vested in it. To be honest, it's not the kind of thing I'd write. I enjoy reading some police tales -- like the books of Ed McBain's 87th Precinct series -- but I honestly don't know that much about police procedures and haven't done the research I normally do to fill myself in. I wait till I'm at a point where I need to know something then Google it to see what comes up that I can use. So far I've been lucky...and the guy whose life I'm basing it on is giving me info as I go along.

It's just, I can't seem to find the hook in it to make it crazy enough, yet. It reads too much like a rehash of "Serpico". Fact is, I don't want to spend a year working on this one, like I did on "The Lyons' Den." I'm doing it out of a feeling of obligation, which means I'll turn out a piece of crap.

I dunno. I've been in a weird mood all day so that's probably why I'm such a downer-bear right now. I'm turning in early, tonight, and letting sleep wipe away the tedium.

No comments: