Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

And so it begins

After a non-stop day at work I got home, fixed my omelet (that actually turned into scrambled eggs because I put all kinds of crap with it -- green and red peppers, onions, cheese, ham, olives -- and wanted them all cooked) then got down to business. Just jumped in with both feet and already think the spot where I started is wrong but at least I'm getting something down. Over 2000 words; I needed to do 1667 per day to make my goal; now I just have to do 1600. I'm aiming for 1800...which is 7 pages.

Pete is now Vicenzo....aka: Vinnie. And he's a chatterbox...as well as a bit scattered. He's talking about how he's a good kid and how he went crazy, and I got some odd wordplay going here when he describes is frame of mind: "Because my kind of crazy was the freak-out-paranoid-schizophrenia of a guy who knows what he knows and knows people know he knows and knows they know ways to make sure nobody else knows, so he makes sure they know he knows and knows to keep it to himself, to which they then make sure he knows what he needs to know to keep it under his nose, if he knows what’s good for him. Know what I mean?"

I dunno. Do I?

I got lots to deliver on, still. And this first draft is going to be absolute crap if this first bit it to be believed. But I'll find Vinnie's tone, at least, and will have something to build on from there. Besides, I somehow doubt this will be the actual beginning, once I get deeper into the story.

No comments: