Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

I'm late

I didn't get going on the writing till after 10pm but managed another 2170 words. I jumped to another part of the story, after Vinnie's being investigated and the mob senses he might be a threat thanks to what he knows. He's on his own and it's adding to his paranoia. There are other spots where I can work and then worry about linking thing up, later, so I might get this done.

Or not. It did take a a long time to get into the rhythm and feel, and then only because part of this section takes place on the Long Island Expressway -- the LIE -- and I had this thought about cars drifting along it like silent coffins on a swollen river. I don't think I've earned the metaphor in the story, yet, but it's getting there in my mind.

I worked till 5:30 and had fish and chips at Wegman's. I don't know what they do to this meal, but it's addictive. I just wish they offered it more days than just Friday (a very Catholic thing from years ago, where Fridays were meatless while for some reason fish was not considered a meat). I don't care; it was perfect. What's even more fun is, the Wegman's I go to has Jazz on friday evenings, so you sit there and munch as a trio or quartet bops away in the background. It almost feels civilized.

Weather's getting colder. Winter's hinting of its arrival. I like it like that.

No comments: