Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, November 19, 2011

History travels

My job in NYC blew up so I'm headed back to Buffalo on Amtrak, following the same route as "North by Northwest". It's beautiful, heading up the Hudson River Valley, even when the tracks take you away from the shoreline and into golden woods thick with fallen leaves. It's a very civilized method of travel, despite it taking more than 8 hours to get to my destination. I have WiFi and a monster sandwich from a deli with a couple of DPs -- I'm set. And what's best? No airport security to have to deal with.

We just passed West Point, and it's impressive, even from across the river. And now we're passing the ruins of an old baroque house on a small island in the middle of the river. It was apparently burned down but still has the castle-like turrets at a couple of corners and arched windows, while glassless, are still intact.

I'm trying to take pictures, but I'm on the sun side of the train and the reflection in the glass is horrific. If I can smooth some out, I'll post them. Otherwise, I can sit here and dream I'm Cary Grant while this adorable guy seated on the other side of the aisle from me is Eva Marie Saint. He's not blond, but he does have a sweet face, elegant hands...and has yet to shift his face or fingers away from his iPhone. I am feeling SO fifty years behind the times, right now.

WOW! I just passed the spot where the train stops to board some cops and Eva Marie Saint tells Cary Grant he needs to hurry up, after one of their double-entendre-filled conversations.

I think I'll watch "North by Northwest", again, tonight.

No comments: