Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, November 7, 2011

Housekeeping

On the novel I'm writing. Cleaning up and noting where I've changed names and places, inputting fresh info and such. Some things I did weren't making any sense so I cut them; others were too unclear so I added more detail. Overall, I think I'm 750 words ahead for the night.

To be honest, I'm pretty much worded out for the night and just want to sleep. I almost had to go to New York on Wednesday to rework the shipment for Boston, but that's being handled by someone down there.

I've been following the situation in the EU and the amazing stupidity and stubbornness of their leaders over there. In order to keep banks from losing money, they're impoverishing entire populations. First Greece, Then Ireland and Spain, then Portugal, Latvia and other Baltic countries, and now it looks like Italy will be next. All because they tied themselves to the Euro and the bastards in control won't make the adjustments needed to strengthen it.

That's not to say here in the US we're doing better. Between Obama's Blue Dogs and the GOP, we'll have 9% unemployment for the next two years and a large portion of those people will be lost to the workforce entirely. My youngest brother is one. He hasn't been able to find a job anywhere in San Antonio, despite looking constantly and being willing to take minimum wage. I had a hell of a time finding work (and then only because I had contacts that came in handy) and I have a stronger employment record than he does. It's going to be a nightmare thanks to the GOP and Obama's cowardice in facing them down. We're even headed for yet another threatened governmental shutdown in the next 10 days.

Sickening.

No comments: