Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Almost halfway there

Today I worked on a section set in the old First Precinct station, AKA: Old Slip, since it was at 100 Old Slip. This really felt like a bit of history, researching this one.
It's now a police museum, but back in 1968 it was where much of the NYPD's narcotics filing was done, while the evidence room was at 400 Broome, if I remember right. Or was that Centre Street?

It's a lovely if odd old building that's only about 40 feet wide, and narcotics filing was on the third floor. It was shut down in 1973 when the First and Fourth precincts merged and both were moved into the Fourth's building.

I can't figure out how this damn building worked from the descriptions I've been given by the man whose life this story is based on. It looks too narrow to hold all the information it's supposed to have. But maybe that's the point.

Whatever it is, the story's chugging along. I ate in the old Fulton Fish Market area back on July 4th, when I was on a packing job. Walked right by this place and didn't realize what it was.

Serendipity would be nice it it would bother announcing itself, sometimes.

No comments: