Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Got too tired to think...

The problem with packing a library of books is how much physical exertion there is, not just in getting the books off the shelf but wrapping them and setting them in boxes and packing them and shifting the full boxes out of the way so you can keep working, after getting all the packing materials in and finding space to use them, and on and on. I had help. A guy did the ferrying of the materials inside the house and built boxes for me to use, which took about 40% of the labor off my back, but I still get tired.

Wound up with 146 cartons, and these weren't even being shipped anywhere; they were being transported to a non-profit organization in NYC. So I didn't have to be as careful about them as I normally am, at least. But last night I just plain couldn't put coherent thoughts together...so I sat at my laptop and read through the last 5 chapters of APoS and cringed. Hated how superficial and unreal they seemed. One was dealing with Bloody Sunday, and it was so totally glossed over it might as well have been a Sunday stroll on the promenade.

Half the issue was me being tired and cranky. I couldn't even work up the appetite to go out for fish and chips; I nuked a meal at the hotel. And on top of it, something in the residence's heating system set off my allergies so I was sneezing like an idiot, to the point my sides hurt. I'm better, now that I'm home, but it seemed the fates were conspiring against me. I'll get hard onto APoS tomorrow, after I return the car and drop off the paperwork.

CK is being problematic, and I have no doubt it's because I couldn't focus on it, either. But I got an idea while driving back...and think I may have a way into the story. But I'm finishing this rewrite of APoS before I turn to it, in full awareness.

At least the area was pretty. This is a view of one of the county's lakes...

No comments: