Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, November 28, 2021

National Novel Writing Month Challenge achieved


Carli's Kills
is now over 50K in words. It's not done, not by a long shot. I probably have another 8-10,000 words to go to finish the story, but it's met the threshold and I got my badge.

This is #13, and of those, I've published 7. Which I guess is good. I have some I want to return to and finish polishing up for publication. And in truth, this is the second time I've tried to do CK as the challenge; last time I didn't make it past 14K before things grew overwhelming. This time I didn't have any excuses.

I'm at the point in the story where Carli and Zeke finally go to bed. And she is not a passive partner. It's going to be raw and rough and fun for them both, because she's finally learned he was not part of what happened to her daughter and, in fact, is the only one who feels guilty about it because he didn't do anything to help Lara before she killed herself and thinks he should have.

The scene I'd made such a joke out of, in the script -- where Carli interrogates Chase, one of the drug dealers -- shifted and, instead, became a tough moment where Chase thinks Carli's going to kill him. I did a little play on the shower scene in Psycho as the lead-in...but it gets tight, after that.

I'm going to finish this draft then get back to work on APoS.

No comments: